Real Centre Network
Background Image

Frequently Asked Questions

  • What is RES course?

    RES stands for Real Estate Salesperson course. This is the basic course that all salesperson must go through before they can sit for the RES examinations. Salesperson must pass the RES examinations before CEA will issue them a salesperson licence to practice with effect from 1 Jan 2011.

  • What is REA course?

    REA stands for Real Estate Agency course. This is the course required for REA examinations. REA certification is required for application for Real Estate Agent and practicing partners.

  • What is CPD course?

    CPD stands for Continuing Professional Development course. CPD is a requirement for all salesperson to fulfill. Please refer to CEA’s website for more information on CPD.

  • Are there any course eligibility conditions that I must fulfil?

    All participants must meet the following requirements:

    • at least 21 years (participants who are below 21 years are unable to sit for the RES/REA exams)
    • Have a minimum of 4 GCE 'O' Levels passes in 2 sittings / Higher NITEC / Diploma from local government polytechnic / Degree and above from local government universities
    • Applicants who have attained Level 5 and above for the Workplace Literacy and Numeracy (WPLN) assessment in these 5 components (Reading, Listening, Speaking, Writing and Numeracy) will be recognised in lieu of 4 GCE "O" level passes.

    Applicants having other qualifications (e.g. overseas qualifications or private diplomas etc.) will need to have their qualifications assessed by CEA for purpose of determining whether the educational qualification requirement is met. They must submit the certificates, full transcripts and official translation (if qualification is not in English) together with the CEA Request Form's personally to RCN for submission to CEA. Please allow at least 15 working days for CEA's reply.

    An administration charge of $53.50 (inclusive of GST) imposed by CEA is payable for all assessment of qualifications.

  • How did CEA arrive at the 4 GCE 'O' level passes criteria?
    Are there any alternatives available for applicants who are unable to fulfill this criterion?

    The minimum educational requirement of 4 GCE "O" level passes is set to ensure that the applicant has the basic competency level. Individuals who are unable to meet these criteria will be required to take the Workplace Literacy and Numeracy (WPLN) assessment administered by WDA. A WPLN (Reading, Listening, Speaking, Writing and Numeracy) Level 5 will be recognised in lieu of 4 GCE "O" level passes. Details of the assessments can be found here . All applicants also have to pass the Real Estate Salesperson (RES) examination and fulfill all other registration criteria for registration with CEA.

  • If a salesperson's highest educational qualification is NITEC or Higher NITEC, is it equivalent to 4 GCE "O" level passes?

    With effect from 20 Sep 2012, CEA has decided to recognise Higher NITEC qualification as equivalent to 4 GCE "O" level passes. New entrants with Higher NITEC qualification need not submit their certificate to CEA for assessment prior to attending RES Course/Exam. NITEC qualification is not considered as equivalent to 4 GCE "O" level passes. For applicants who have NITEC qualification, they can take the WPLN assessments from WDA. The WPLN (Reading, Listening, Speaking, Writing and Numeracy) Level 5 is accepted in lieu of 4 GCE "O" level passes. Details of the assessments can be found here.

  • If I have completed my degree locally in one of the private institutions in Singapore. Am I still required to submit my certificates for assessment?

    All certificates/diplomas/degrees not issued by the local government educational bodies need to be sent to CEA for Assessment. Please note that there is an administration fee of $53.50 imposed by CEA for all assessment. CEA will take at least 15 working days to reply on the results of the assessment.

  • I've taken obtained the Malaysian equivalent of O levels. Do I still need to submit my certificate for assessment?

    All certificates/diplomas/degrees not issued by the local government educational bodies need to be sent to CEA for Assessment.

  • What qualifications will be REJECTED by CEA?

    The following will not be considered in lieu of the 4 O levels:
    - Certificates for seminars/ short terms courses
    - Vocational Courses (e.g. hairdressing, culinary, dancing etc.)
    - Nitec Certificate

  • Can I start the RES course while I wait for the Assessment of Qualifications by CEA?

    ALL course participants MUST meet the prevailing minimum educational requirement of at least 4 GCE “O” level passes (applicable to new entrants who wish to register as salespersons) before they enrol for the RES/REA Course. A participant is NOT ALLOWED to commence class till all qualifications assessment is completed.

  • Why is there an administrative charge imposed on the assessment of qualifications now?

    With effect from 1 Jan 2013, an administrative fee of $53.50 (inclusive of 7% GST) is collected by CEA’s Approved Course Provider on behalf of CEA for the purpose of assessment of the applicant’s educational qualification(s). This is to ensure that RES/REA course participants meet the minimum educational requirement of at least 4 GCE “O” Level passes (applicable to new entrants who later wish to register as salespersons) before the participants are permitted to enrol for the RES/REA Course. The administrative fee is to defray the costs in the assessment of each application.

  • Can a foreigner take the RES/REA course?

    Foreigners who meet the eligibility criteria and have completed the assessment of qualification in lieu of the 4 O levels taken in Singapore are able to take the RES course. However for foreigners, please note that you are also required to meet all necessary immigration and employment legal requirements if you wish to join the real estate agency industry. The estate agent you wish to join should also check with CEA on the type of employment pass you should possess before submitting a registration application. Taking the RES course and passing the RES exam DO NOT automatically allow you to register as a salesperson.

  • What is in the course syllabus?

    Course syllabus for REA and RES are according to the syllabus stipulated by CEA. Please refer our website for the detailed syllabus.

  • What course materials are provided?

    Our course materials include course books and all lecture slides.

  • Do you sell the course materials?

    Our course materials are not for sale.

  • Do you have other time slots for your course besides those published?

    Please refer to our website for the latest schedule which is open for registration.

  • Who are your lecturers?

    Our team of lecturers include: Celeste Ng, Thomas Tan and Eunice Lim. They’re experienced in the field of real estate and most are licence holder of Real Estate Agent. They have been teaching RES and REA courses since the introduction of these course by CEA. All lecturers are approved by CEA before they can lecture for any RES/REA course.

  • What is the minimum attendance required?

    You need to fulfill at least 75% attendance before you can register for exams. We will only issue certificate of participation for those who meet the attendance criteria.

  • What is the difference between taking RES/REA course from your centre compared to others?

    Different centre have different lecturers and teaching styles. It’s like taking a course from company A vs taking course from company B.

  • Why are lessons schedule and amount of time committed to the lessons different across different centres?

    Different centre have different teaching styles. We can assure all participants that we will cover the required syllabus for the exam during the course duration.

  • What if I have missed some lessons will make up lessons be available?

    Make up classes will be subject to availability. Priority will be given to participants whose absence is due to medical grounds. However please note that there is a minimum attendance requirement of 75% for participant to take their RES/REA examinations.

  • Is there a validity period to the certification?

    Successful candidates must apply for registration/ licensing with CEA within 24 months of the date of issuance of the examination certificate after which, results will be invalid for licensing and registration purposes.

  • Does passing the exams ensure that I get my salesperson/estate agent licence?

    In addition to passing the industry exams, you will need to fulfill the licencing criteria stipulated by CEA. Please refer to CEA’s website on licencing criteria for Estate Agent / Salesperson.

    Q1. Any discount or preferential rates?
    A1. We are charging a flat rate, so you can be assured you are getting the best rate for your course fees from our training centre.
    Q2. Any GST for the course fees?
    A2. With effect from 31 March, we are GST registered. Hence GST is payable for your course fees.
    Q3. Any WDA funding?
    A3. There is currently no funding available for RES and REA course.

    For all exam related questions, please refer to Approved Examination Administrator, NTUC Learning Hub.

    Please refer to CEA for all licencing related questions.